https://foodcary.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/irish-soda-bread-recipe.jpg 350 600 Community Contributor http://foodcary.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/food-cary-logo-v2b.png Community Contributor2014-03-05 13:48:372016-03-25 12:21:26Recipe: Traditional Irish Soda Bread
Recipe: Traditional Irish Soda Bread
Cary, NC — Coming from New York and being an Irish family, we love celebrating our Irish heritage with traditional Emerald Isle fare on St. Patrick’s Day. This Irish Soda bread recipe has been tweaked to perfection. Enjoy!
Traditional Irish Soda Bread Recipe
This recipe for Traditional Irish Soda Bread makes one 9-inch Loaf.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup golden raisins, plumped in very hot water for 10 minutes and well drained
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1¼ sour cream
- ¾ cup cultured low-fat buttermilk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Preheat oven to 350˚ F. Spray 9-inch cake pan with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, using wire whisk or fork, combine flour, caraway seeds, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Stir in raisins.
- In separate medium mixing bowl, combine sugar, sour cream, buttermilk and eggs. Using a wooden spoon, stir sour cream mixture into flour mixture until all of the flour mixture is moistened (dough will be very sticky).
- Place dough evenly into prepared cake pan and bake on center oven rack 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick, inserted in center, comes out clean and bread is golden.
- Cool in pan for 10-15 minutes; remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack.
Serve warm with your favorite Irish butter.
- Traditional Irish Stew for St. Patrick’s Day
- Recipe: Corned Beef and Cabbage for St. Patrick’s Day
- Irish Beer and St. Patrick’s Day Guide
Recipe and photo by Lynette McEvoy of PlanThatParty.com