Cary, NC — Do you struggle to find fast and easy recipes for your family on busy weeknights?
Tasty, Quick Pasta for Weeknights
Our family came up with a revolving menu that specifies every Wednesday as Pasta Night.
The problem soon became that we cooked the most boring spaghetti and meatballs every Wednesday. Until recently. I started going through my old recipe books and latched onto Pasta Carbonara. It has ingredients that we always have on hand and whips up in the same amount of time as it takes to boil the pasta – about 25 minutes from start to finish.
If your family is like mine, we love bacon. If you have a really picky eater, save some cooked bacon on the side for that child and make a side of red sauce from a jar.
Add a salad and your meal is complete.
- 1 pound of spaghetti or linguine
- 6 strips of bacon
- 4 eggs yolks (save those whites for something else – meringues?)
- 1 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Get the water to a rolling boil over high heat, add pasta and cook it for eight minutes (or to the firmness of your preference). Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, start frying up that bacon. Prepare a plate with paper towels to drain the bacon when it is done. Break the bacon into bite-size pieces.
- Reserve two tablespoons of the bacon drippings.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks.
- While whisking constantly, gradually add in the bacon drippings. Working quickly, add the drained pasta and Parmesan to the yolk mixture and toss to combine.
- Add salt and pepper, parsley and bacon.
- Serve immediately.
This recipe is so easy, and we always have everything on hand. If you wish to get fancier, you could add cooked peas, small broccoli florets or even sliced mushrooms.
Share a Recipe
Do you have a family go-to recipe? Share it in our comments section below or get some ideas from our other CaryCitizen Recipes.