Food: What’s My Beef?

Story by Kaynan Goldberg. Kaynan is CaryCitizen’s 13-year-old columnist on all things frugal, crunchy, healthy and green. She blogs at VeggiesGoCrunch. Photo by Mike.

Cary, NC – Beef has a bad reputation.  It’s considered dirty, and fatty, and just plain unhealthy.  But not all beef is equal.  In fact, it can be one of the best foods for you.  It all depends on where it’s from, and how it was raised. Read more

Pets: What’s In That Dog Food?

Story and photos by Kaynan Goldberg. Kaynan is CaryCitizen’s 13-year-old columnist on all things frugal, crunchy, healthy and green. She blogs at VeggiesGoCrunch.

Cary, NC – Murphy is my grandfather’s Black Labrador Retriever.  He is about ten months old, and he is adorable. But what’s in his food bowl? Read more

Food: Olé Mole!

Recipe by Jim McGrody, Director of Food and Nutrition at Rex Hospital. Photo by Jason Hamner.

Cary, NC – Last time I wrote for CaryCitizen I believe I was sitting by the pool smoking a beef brisket or some other type of meat.

Well, the pool is closed up, the smoker is put away and the holidays are coming way too fast.

I wanted to come up with a holiday recipe to share and I thought about all the turkeys, beef wellingtons, carved prime rib, beef tenderloins, stuffed pork loins that I had cooked over the years. They all seemed so boring and uneventful. Read more

Special Thanksgiving Farmers Market on Tuesday Nov 22

Story from staff reports. Photo by Hal Goodtree.

Cary, NC – The Western Wake Farmer’s Market (WWFM) is holding a special market on Tuesday, November 22, 2011 for your Thanksgiving meal this year. Read more

Beaujolais Nouveau Celebration at Matthews House

Story by Lindsey Chester. Photo by Daniel Agostini.

Cary, NC – At midnight on the third Thursday of November each year, Beaujolais vineyards in France release Beaujolais Nouveau, a young red wine aged for only a few weeks.  The event is met with great fanfare and the resounding declaration, “Le Beaujolais Nouveau est arrivé!”  Read more

Food: Cuban Oasis in Downtown Cary

Story and photos by Lindsey Chester. Above, Havana Grill owner Robert Cardoso.

Cary, NC – A tropical oasis is exactly what Havana Grill owner Robert Cardoso set about to create when he opened his restaurant in 2007. Read more

Great Harvest Raises $4400 for YOTA

Story by Lindsey Chester, photos by Casey Toth

Cary, NC- Sunday, our friends at Great Harvest Bread Company raised money for the YOTA swim team’s scholarship fund in a unique way. They had team members come in and bake and sell that day’s bread. Read more

Food Friday Locavore: Fall Produce

Story by Kaynan Goldberg. Kaynan is CaryCitizen’s 13-year-old columnist on all things frugal, crunchy, healthy and green. She also blogs at VeggiesGoCrunch. Photo by Hal Goodtree, CaryCitizen’s Chief Cook and Bottlewasher. He also takes pictures over on FotoHal.

Cary, NC – It’s October.  I’m so excited for autumn – it’s my favorite season, hands-down.

I like the piles of crunchy leaves, the cozy sweaters I can bring out from my closet, the warm, rich food… hey, I’m a food blogger, right?  I’m always thinking about what I can eat, and in fall, there is a cornucopia of choices – and I’m not just talking about Thanksgiving dinner. Read more

Morrisville Community Garden Autumn Food Cook-Off

Story by Matt Young. Photo by Downing Street.

Morrisville, NC – Morrisville Community Garden on Church Street in Morrisville is going to be hosting its first cook-off, with a seasonal theme.

If your cooking inspiration arrives with the cooler weather this contest may be for you! Read more

Eating Healthy: Food Challenge

Story by Kaynan Goldberg. Kaynan is CaryCitizen’s 13-year-old columnist on all things frugal, crunchy, healthy and green. She also blogs at VeggiesGoCrunch.

Cary, NC – Wow, it’s been a while!  We’ve started school again.  It’s great, but there is a lot more work than last year. Read more