Cary, NC — The Carolina Panthers are in the Super Bowl, and, without a doubt, area fans will be celebrating Sunday night with themed snacks and parties. I did some research to find easy, tasty Panthers-themed party recipes for loyal fans.
Recipes for Panthers Fans
Whether they’re blue or Carolina-inspired, these easy recipes are the perfect party picks for Panthers fans. Need desserts, drinks, snacks or all three? We’ve got you covered!
Try these recipes for Caramelized Onion Bacon Blue Cheese Dip (not technically blue, but the bacon makes it work), Carolina Barbecue Sliders and Blue Popcorn (that’s one of my own recipes!). The blue cheese dip will pair wonderfully with the sliders, the popcorn is fun to munch on and, once you put out some other basic sides, you’re golden!
Recipe: Caramelized Onion Bacon Blue Cheese Dip
Serves four-six. Recipe from Good Life Eats.
- 1/2 of a red onion, sliced and caramelized
- 1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 ounces crumbled blue cheese
- 1/2 cup crumbled, cooked bacon
- 1/4 teaspoon finely minced fresh rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Combine the caramelized onion with the balsamic vinegar in a medium-sized bowl.
- Add sour cream, blue cheese, bacon, rosemary and garlic powder.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve with kettle chips, veggies or other party snacks.
Recipe: Carolina Barbecue Sliders
Serves four-six. Recipe from Foodie with Family.
- 3 cups slow-cooked, shredded pork
- 1/4 cup Carolina barbecue sauce (see below) plus additional sauce for serving
- 12 warm dinner rolls
- 1 cup yellow mustard
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- ¾ cup cider vinegar
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- Stir together all ingredients except the soy sauce, butter and liquid smoke in a heavy-bottomed saucepan.
- Simmer 30 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent scorching. Add the soy sauce, butter and liquid smoke and stir well.
- Return to a simmer over low heat and cook another 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Then, toss shredded pork and barbecue sauce together.
- Split the rolls in the center with a serrated knife.
- Sandwich about 1/4 cup of the saucy meat in between the top and bottom halves of each roll.
- Serve immediately with sauce on the side.
Recipe: Blue Popcorn
Makes one big bowl of popcorn, about four servings.
- 1/2 cup un-popped popcorn kernels
- Neon blue food coloring
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- Cook the popcorn as instructed on its package, then transfer to a large bowl.
- Melt the butter in the microwave or on the stove.
- Add the sugar, salt and 6-8 drops of food coloring. Whisk well.
- Pour the glaze over the cooked popcorn and gently toss to distribute the color. If you want to use two colors, divide the glaze and the popcorn and combine them again after mixing.
- Serve immediately or store, covered, in the fridge for up to 24 hours.
No one will be too picky for a Blue Velvet Cake, and, because it serves so many, it’s a great pick for easy party prep. The blue cake is fun enough – no time-consuming decorating required!
Recipe: Blue Velvet Cake
Serves a crowd. Recipe from Add a Pinch.
- ½ cup Crisco
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 ounce royal blue food color
- 2 drops violet food color
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 scant teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour 3 8-inch round cake pans.
- Cream together Crisco, sugar and eggs.
- Make a paste of food coloring and cocoa and add to mixture.
- Add salt and flour with buttermilk and vanilla.
- Alternately add soda and vinegar; just blend, don’t beat hard.
- Bake 25 minutes.
- Cool cake thoroughly before frosting.
Beer is a must-have for Super Bowl parties, but here’s two easy-to-prepare alternatives. The Blue Margarita is a simple crowd-pleaser, and the Lemon Lime Slushie can be adapted for both kids and adults with the addition (or not!) of vodka.
Recipe: Lemon Lime Blue Slushie
Serves four. Recipe from BakedByRachel.
- 12 oz. lemonade concentrate
- 2 cups ice cubes
- 1 cup cold water
- 5 drops neon blue food coloring
- 12 oz. lemon lime soda
- Vodka (optional)
- Add first four ingredients to a blender, cover and process until desired consistency is reached.
- If a more frozen consistency is desired, transfer to a freezer-safe container and freeze for 30 minutes.
- Mix with lemon lime soda just before serving.
Recipe: Blue Margaritas
Serves one. Recipe from About Food.
- 1 1/2 ounces tequila
- 1 ounce blue curacao
- 1 ounce fresh lime juice
- Lime wedge for garnish
- Salt for rimming
- Pour all ingredients in a shaker with ice.
- Shake and pour into a margarita glass rimmed with salt.
- Garnish with a lime wedge.
Story by Jessica Patrick.