Memorial Day Recipe: Homemade Guacamole
Recipe by Lindsey Chester. Photo by Tina.
Cary, NC – Word is that salsa has overtaken catsup as the most-consumed condiment. After a party I attended last weekend, I’d say guacamole is close behind!
The Bat Mitzvah & The Guacamole
My BFF had a post Bat Mizvah party at her house this past Saturday night and she ordered in some catering for a casual buffet-style dinner for all the out-of-town relatives.
Mountains of grilled chicken and beef were accompanied by tortillas, lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, sour cream, salsa and everyone’s favorite: guacamole.
At the end of the night, as we were putting away the leftovers, one thing struck me – the only item that had been completely annihilated was the GUACAMOLE. Not a speck left.
Recipe: Homemade Guacamole
If you like to have a little Guac with your chips, or in your tacos or a salad or with fresh fish, here’s a super-simple recipe that will make you a star. It just has a few ingredients and takes almost no time. Perfect for Memorial Day in Cary, NC.
- 2 ripe avocados – (I prefer the Haas type, they are the ones with the dark green/ black wrinkly skin. They should yield slightly to the touch when pressed if they are properly ripe. Soft, but not mushy.
- 1 lime
- 1 small onion
- salt pepper and garlic powder
- Slice the ripe avocados in half, removing and discarding the large pit in the center.
- Scoop the flesh out into a bowl. mash with a fork until no longer chunky.
- Add juice of 1 lime (or lemon in a pinch). This tastes great but also prevents avocado from turning brown.
- Add in salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste and dice up one half of a small onion. Combine.
- Optional: add in 1/2 cup chunky salsa. Blend with a fork.
- Tortilla Chips,
- Condiment for Tacos or Frajitas
- Top a burger
Now get dipping!
CaryCitizen is sponsored in part by Booth Amphitheatre.