Cary, NC — On a cold, dark winter night, nothing satisfies like oven-roasted beets. Try this easy recipe and do your body good.
In Praise of Beets
Beets are an incredibly versatile vegetable. You can use them to make borscht or cut them into a salad.
Beets are a good source of vitamin C, iron and magnesium, and a very good source of dietary fiber, folate, potassium and manganese. People on a gluten-free diet can enjoy beets just like everybody else.
Recipe: Oven-Roasted Beets
- 3-4 fresh beets (leaves on are best)
- Olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F.
- Wash, peel and trim the beets. Cut beets into medium chunks – large beets into 8 pieces, small beets cut in half.
- Toss cut beets with a tablespoon of olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Roast in oven for 35-40 minutes. Turn once or twice for more even cooking.
- Toss roasted beets with a teaspoon of balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper before serving. You can substitute apple cider vinegar for the balsamic, or even use orange juice for a sweet finish.
Recipe by Hal Goodtree. Photo by bonstance.